Monday, December 3, 2007

Fiscal Responsibility?

I am deep into negotiations with my loan provider, also my alma mater, on the student loan that mysteriously went up by $318.73 last month (5% interest on $5200 can hardly explain that; the interest should have been $24). Here's a quick recap of this journey that is quickly turning into quagmire:

1. The loan handler, mycampusloan.com, does not have ANY RECORDS of anything except the amount I paid every month. They don't have an amortization chart (the rep couldn't even pronounce it, called it an "immunization chart," which I may find humorous later but don't now) and they don't have a record of how much the loan is or how much it is reduced every month.

2. The financial officer at my university, someone whom I know personally (in a removed, business sort of way) also has NO RECORDS OF ANY KIND. She shows my payments being made every month, and how much goes to interest or principal, but that's it. She offered to send that information to me, "for me to figure out," and I said I could get it online. It still doesn't tell me anything; I can add it up but cannot calculate capitalized interest and such without some serious software.

3. When I expressed my disbelief, she said, and I quote, "But I don't need that information. I just subtract your payment every month from the total." So I said, "What was my total at time of payment last month?" and she said, "I don't have that information." So I said, "Why?" She replied, "Well, because it depends on what day you make your payment what your total should be." So I said, "But you know what day I made my payment last month! Shouldn't you have a record of the total that day?" And she said, "This isn't helping. We're just going around in circles."

I'm going to have to conclude at this point that some kind of fraud is happening. I mean, my payments aren't going where they are supposed to be going, or there is some kind of rerouting. I requested 12 months of statements and my payment schedule going back to 1998. Part of the problem is that I have not received any statements since I started paying my bills online. Apparently, the loan handlers should have been sending me statements, and when I hung up with the school loan officer, she was sounding rather panicked.

It is everyone's worst enemy, the idea that your loans would not be going down as much as they should, but you know, when I was overseas, it seemed like my loans should have been going down faster (although I didn't track them closely like I do now) and I actually accused my mother of forgetting to send the payments for me. I started sending them personally via cashier's checks from overseas, telling her it just made me "feel better."

But maybe it was the cashier's checks that were more trackable; maybe I was right and the money wasn't going where it should, but my mother wasn't at fault at all. I am feeling a little panicked and overwhelmed at the moment, and wondering what to do about all this. I do have prepaid legal services. Is $300 worth calling a lawyer? What should I do?

No comments: