Sunday, December 31, 2006

The Invisible Rich

I have long wanted to be a part of "The Invisible Rich" like the ones in this article. A friend of mine was surprised to find her parents were extremely rich because they always lived in a modest house, drove older cars and didn't seem like there was much money. That was because her mom and stepdad were socking away a ton of money every month, and when they hit retirement, they suddenly bought a million dollar home on a lake. My friend was shocked. She'd had no idea.

When I was in college, I hated looking different from my friends -- not having cool clothes or a nice car. My roommate, on the other hand, was a saver. She bought her clothes on sale at Fred Meyer or Walmart, and saved every month, even if it was only $5. She always had money, and was constantly bailing me out. Now, nearly ten years later, I have hardly made a dent in my student loans while she has had hers paid off for 3 years (and she graduated a year after me). She has $10,000 in the bank, no debt, and is planning on traveling. My net worth is currently higher -- I bought a house, for example, during a buyer's market and now its worth has more than doubled. I also didn't date boyfriends that mooched off me like my friend. But I still call her before I make any major financial decision (and she calls me before she makes any boyfriend decisions). I know that she had the right idea all along and I often think, what would my roomie do? when I am faced with a financial dilemma and she can't be reached (she lives overseas). She taught me that it was okay not to throw your money around, because when you do...it slips out of your hands all too easily.

I still struggle with certain things. I love really, really expensive shoes. I hate driving crappy cars, and I want a new one that runs consistently. But whenever I crunch the numbers, its always worth it to wait a little while longer, to save a little more, to pay a little more on those credit cards/student loans/mortgage payments. I am trying to join the ranks of the invisible rich, though - at least for now. Someday I can afford those luxuries, and not on credit -- on cash. Oh how I look forward to the day!

No comments: