Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Black Friday's comin'

Black Friday is next week! How did this happen? Luckily we've already done our Christmas budget, and my family has agreed to draw names this year, which means we may actually come under budget. Also, my mother-in-law is coming for a visit next week, which I hope means I can send gifts back with her and save on shipping. I've never been a Black Friday shopper; I don't much like shopping, and the idea of standing in the cold for a "possible" deal just doesn't appeal to me. For those of you who do, Kiplinger has a list of ten ways to save money on Black Friday. My favorite is the last one -- curling up on the couch and relaxing. Because the best way to save money is not to spend any at all! I like the two below, too, and plan to spend my Black Friday doing just this:

6. Clean out your closet, basement or garage. Are your old clothes, knick knacks, books, CDs and other household items taking up precious space? Donate your used stuff to a charitable thrift store such as Goodwill or Salvation Army and get a tax write-off. Or sell it on Craigslist, eBay or Amazon.com to make some extra cash for the holidays. Learn more about where and how to sell online.

7. Assemble your financial emergency kit. This fall's California wildfires serve as a somber reminder to get all your important documents in order. A couple hours of preparation could prove priceless if disaster ever struck your family.
Gather all your important documents, including insurance policies, birth certificates, property deeds, car titles and investment records, and store them in a fireproof safe. Also, consider creating a couple of backup CDs of digital family photos to stash in your safe. Pictures are often the number-one item people wish they could take with them in an emergency.


Ironically, the one thing Kiplinger doesn't mention is a magazine subscription to them, which is a great gift that doesn't need to be shipped. My parents have talked to a financial advisor this year and are actually trying to save money. My mother is 60 and my dad is 56, and they have been spenders most of their lives (they actually did best when they were poorest; when me and my two siblings were small, they paid off their house in just 6 years. They re-mortgaged it when I was a teen and maxed out its value with an equity loan just this spring). I am happy they are starting to sort things out, and hopefully they will get good information from the magazine. I don't think they'll be offended; my mother has been asking for some kind of books or reading materials all year. I think Kiplinger is a good resource, but if anyone has a better magazine or book that works for them, leave a comment!

No comments: