Monday, May 19, 2008

Bought a diamond between January 1, 1994 and March 31, 2006?

A class action lawsuit against DeBeers for inflating diamond prices is being settled, and today is the last day to file a claim. Anyone can file a claim, and documentation isn't needed unless your purchase was over $10,000. Here's an article about the lawsuit at Consumerist.com; you can also go directly to the class action website here.

I bought a diamond engagement ring in February 2006. We had bought gold wedding rings with engraving around the edge when we got married, but I later wished I had bought a more traditional ring, because I gained weight and it turned out the ring couldn't be resized. So, my husband bought me a beautiful diamond engagement ring for our 5th anniversary. Later, my 1-year-old daughter found the ring and toddled off with it -- I haven't seen it since -- for a loss of $800. We've searched the house repeatedly, and moving last summer it seemed sure to turn up, but it never did.

A few dollars in settlement isn't much of an exchange, but it's better than nothing...

No comments: